Monday 15 December 2008

Bedpans and evening ablutions - the RIE

My first port of call following the accident was Accident and Emergency in the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh - my memories are hazy - shouting as my shoes were removed, complaining as my clothes were cut off and then a vague protestation as the Elle McPherson Bra was scissored. There were pain killers and questions and tests on my eyes. The staff were efficient and skilled - but nameless - then, I think following x-rays - I was trundled up to an orthopedic trauma ward. The ward was short staffed and frantically busy - the staff kind but time poor. There were 5 of us in the ward I think - but I only remember 2 - the gentle and very confused woman on my right with a broken hip and the woman across with 2 broken legs (fell down 4 steps). Still on an adrenlin rush I was overly rational and extremely practical. Did I go to theatre that day or the next - I don't remember - what I do remember: the food: the evening wash; and the bedpans.

First the food - well it used to come up from Wales (so the stories go) although I believe the contract may have changed now - but it was still grim, uninviting and inedible. I ate nothing that the hospital provided - relying on the generosity of friends and family - was reminded of hospitals in South East Asia where families often provide all the meals for patients. Could they do better? Yes - the food at St Johns (my next stop for 2 weeks) was nutritious, tasty and inviting - and made on the premises - I ate all of it every time.

Then - the bedpans. Universally hated by patients and staff alike, they are a necessary evil for people on bedrest. But why why are the ones in the RIE so shallow? Is it because someone thought they would be easier to get on to and therefore less stressful? Are they cheaper (less cardboard, less resource)? Were they designed by someone who has never tried them out? So not only the indignity of being helped onto one, and then hanging onto the bed guard rails so as not to fall off, but then the horror of finding them too shallow for just a medium pee. Again I must contrast with St Johns. The bedpans there were deep enough to be safe - and still easy enough to get onto.

And finally - on getting washed. Patients get their main wash in the morning - when there are plenty of staff on and there is time. But in the evening a wash is more rare - and when I asked for one (having been under a truck and still picking gravel out of my ears) I was greeted with surprise. Couldn't I wait until the morning. No I could not. I had my wash - limited by what I could manage - a basin on the bed table - perfunctory but at least I felt more human. This is not a criticism of the staff - the ward was very short staffed due to to staff illness and the needs of more seriously ill patients - and the staff could only do what was possible - but these small things help patients feel better - which surely must save costs in the longer term. So message to those who make decisions on staff resourcing - do you have a wash twice a day at home? And if so, don't you think that people who are ill and vulnerable should have the same opportunity?

A final postscript on the washing - it was a young Polish auxillary nurse who gave me the best wash of my stay at the RIE - I will be forever grateful.

No comments: