Friday 16 October 2009

Operation No. 5 (preparation)

Well, it seems I was getting a bit ahead of myself. Advice from my Physio is to hang onto the stick for a bit longer. Not to overdo it. Go easy on the crossramp in the gym. Oh and by the way - "take the crutches to Operation Number 5 because you'll need them afterwards for a while..."

If I had thought about it long enough I might have come to this conclusion myself. When the tension wires are removed, they will leave tiny holes in the bone. And those holes will have to heal. And the healing will take around ten weeks. No physio for ten days after the operation. Which means a set back on the muscle strengthening. Which may mean that my knee starts playing up again. Which means problems on the bike (just when I had finally worked up the courage to cycle on the road - in the traffic). I even have to postpone my plastic surgery clinic - impractically scheduled five days after the operation (at a hospital 30 miles away). Etc Etc Etc My consultant never mentioned any of this. Said it was a simple process. Day surgery only. And I only planned to take a couple of days off work.

The pre-op clinic is next week. Quite why I have to attend this (and take yet another half day off work) is beyond me - I've been in that hospital so many times that I'm on first name terms with most of the Department. But heh - a girl has to cooperate...

In the meantime, my lawyer has served a summons on the lorry driver and his employer. I haven't had the heart, or the nerve, to read it yet. And with that documentation - a form explaining that my employment contract includes a clause which requires me to pay back my sick pay if I receive compensation. Its a funny old world.

No comments: