Wednesday 11 February 2009

Fred's big day

Yesterday was Fred's big day. It was also mine. Fred apparently had training from a tabloid editor before his performance. I had no training - and forgot to write down my questions. I was picked up by an ambulance at 12.30 - just before my lunch. I don't know whether Fred was too nervous to eat his. I arrived at ODP 6 at the new RIE before the clinic started. The lights were still off. I imagine Fred arrived early or on time. One isn't late for Select Committee appearance.

I had an x-ray - well 4 - just to get every image. Fred would have gone through security and had his bag checked. After my x-rays I sat alone in the consultant's room to gather my thoughts. Fred would have waited outside his Committee room with his colleagues. Perhaps some final advice? Then my consultant appeared.

He couldn't decide what to do . My ankle and foot bones have healed but there is still a gap in my tibia. I was prodded and poked - and asked to stand up. 'Stand up' - I exclaimed - 'are you mad'. Seemed not. I stood on both feet for the first time in twelve weeks. I was afraid. But nothing untoward happened. After some discussion we agreed on the next steps - start weight bearing immediately with the moonboot on - and wait another 6 weeks to see if the tibia heals itself. It was still hot to touch - and thus healing. Might avoid a further operation yet. Back in reception I made by next appointment for March and asked about my transport. I needed to get home to hear how Fred was getting on. The ambulance turned up eventually - and I was home by 3.45. Missed Fred's big moment - but caught it on the net later on.

Fred said sorry. But I'm not sure he and his fellow bankers understood where it had all gone wrong. Or what they were sorry for. While Fred was saying sorry, Kate from Poland was cleaning my flat. My Spanish friend was having his last coffee in Porty before flying home. Later we had my fabulous neighbours up for dinner and a chum from the Borders stayed the night. I managed to cook much of the meal, issuing instructions from my perching stool to my Spanish friend - whose wise cracks demonstrated advanced understanding of the English language. I think my day was better than Fred's.

No comments: