Friday 6 February 2009

Printers and Pickup Sticks

Three and a half weeks after my Occupational Therapist referral (which never happened) my pick up stick arrives - yellow and black with warnings about damage and loss - mustn't be careless! What can I do with this fabulous contraption ? Well, cunningly, I can get clothes in and out of my wardrobe. The wardrobe is walk in - but not hop in - due to the large step. Clean clothes have been tantalising me since I got home...

Meanwhile I have discovered one of the few benefits of being on crutches. Shopping. For non routine purchases I usually spend an unwarranted amount of time and untold agony researching quality, costs, eco considerations, corporate social responsibility and god knows what else. Today I decided I needed a printer. A kind friend drove me to PC World in some hellish shopping centre. I hopped in. Without my wheelchair I cannot be long - as I can't stand up for more than ten minutes or so without my right hip complaining. Asked the nice young man to sell me a printer with cheap replacement cartridges. Eight minutes later we left, printer cost £35 and the recycled paper £6. Real cost to self - almost minimal.

Home to a clean flat and a meal cooked my very generous Spanish guest. Then downstairs to my neighbours to watch a film. My Spanish friend stops off on the second floor to feed another neighbour's cat. Cant beat tenement living. We might have problems keeping the stairs clean, but we have no problems at all looking after each other.

No comments: