Monday 8 June 2009

Do not feed the animals

I don't know how people successfully manage to phase back to work over several weeks. Today I worked nine hours, with no lunch break and only two minutes of physio. I just could not get all the work done. Meeting after meeting. Sitting down on the floor beside my desk tweaking a rubber round my foot while drawing breath. No time for a swim. Too tired for the gym after work. I am supposed to do no more than seven and a half hours. And its only Monday.

On the good side, much of my pain has subsided. I don't go to the canteen, and rarely move from my desk. My colleagues deliver my lunch. And cakes, sweets and biscuits.

I seem to have more flexibility in my foot, but worryingly, have developed a slight rash on my skin graft. I imagine this might be some sort of contact dermatitis. Either that, or my right leg has finally woken up to the fact that there's a bit of left thigh on it and has started the process of rejection. God forbid....

I have started yoga again, managing four of the five Tibetan Rites. (The last one is clearly impossible - used to be my favourite too..) I'm astonished by my loss of flexibility and stamina but rather pleased that I can spin round, albeit very slowly and unsteadily. My balance has been badly affected, partly because I don't have enough muscle strength in my calves to hold myself up. So my latest exercise is to stand on my right leg, and balance for 30 seconds. I can manage about 5 seconds because I collapse in a heap. But I persevere.

The Tibetan Rites require the giving up of sugar. I'm not doing well. A scone, a muffin and a large piece of cake were inhaled at work instead of lunch. And two cups of very strong coffee. This is not good for my anxiety levels, nor, presumably, my general health. For the first time in years I'm putting on weight. I just can't do enough exercise to burn off calories. But how to resist the cakes? I could take up smoking, but going all the way down the stairs for a fag is more hassle than its worth. I could try willpower, but all of that is being spent on the physio. I'm not sodding superwoman. I could stop buying them, but that doesn't remove the freebies in the office.

Perhaps a DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS should be pinned to my desk. Yes, that's it. Along with DO NOT TEASE tacked to my chair. And SEND HOME BEFORE BEHAVIOURAL PROBLEMS ARISE. That should do it. In nice big red letters. In Times New Roman. Security can pop up and down every so often to ensure compliance. And pink sheet me if I step out of line.

No comments: