Sunday 21 March 2010

Back on the road

Its a weird thing, fear. Impossible to describe to someone else. Difficult even to articulate to myself. What causes my legs to shake sometimes, and my hands at other times? Why does my heart start pounding just thinking about it? Why does simply talking about it bring it on?

Of course, all these things have a physiological reason. Its pretty straight forward, the flight or fight response. And I'm learning the control mechanisms too. Go to the site. Face the fear. Stand there with the bike until my heart stops pounding. According to my psychologist this should be easier every time. Mmm. Even writing it down is unpleasant.

And so to the progress report.

In early March I wake up one morning and decide to face the fear, head on and alone. iPod on (yes, not recommended for cycling, but safer in this instance for its calming effect). Pedal out west along the Promenade, up onto Seafield Road, weave cautiously along the pavement, and stop 30 metres from the site of the incident (I can't use the term accident - so bear with me on this).

Heart racing, palms sweating, and legs threatening to go beneath me, I stand for a few minutes and look at the junction. Note that the world keeps turning. The traffic keeps moving. Just a junction. An ordinary junction. Turn up the music a little. Then pick up the bike and pedal for home. Surprisingly the journey home is worse. Far worse. Still on the pavement but this time with the traffic coming from behind. Hands not firm on the handlebars. Every unexpected noise a terror. And at the same time an enormous sense of achievement. Faced the fear. Over the first hurdle.

Over the next week I grow braver. Visit the site again. Stay longer. Look harder. Get a wee bit closer. Watch a truck come through the junction. Sick with fear. Daren't cross the junction. But hold the line. Breathe deeply.

And then, even bolder, a few days later, I pedal east for a few kilometres, now and again off the pavement and onto the road where it is nice and wide. Still not cycling through junctions but cranking up the possibilities every time. And with these possibilities, new frustrations.

Want to go further. And faster. And up hills. But I heed the advice of the professionals. No hills (because of my knee). And no junctions (because my adrenalin will apparently get in the way of my judgment). And no lorries - definitely no lorries - because when my legs shake I lose power - and when my hands shake I lose control - and neither of these things is a good idea when 32 tonnes storms past within a metre of a small person on a little pink bike...

And on Saturday the 20th March, around 16 months after I was run over, I cycle with a friend safely on my tail along the pavement to that junction. Get off. Cross the road. And then staying on the road, complete the journey to Leith. It is deeply unpleasant. Every vehicle a potential killer. But I do it. Thanks to my patient friend. I am victorious. I have got past that junction. Everything now is possible.

And the next day I do it alone. OK, there are no lorries. I pick a Sunday deliberately. And I am partly forced into it by unexpected and difficult circumstances (more on that in a forthcoming post). I meet a police car with its siren going. And sit behind a large red angry tractor at the lights. Don't undertake it despite the wait. Stopping in Tiso's car park while waiting for a friend I notice my legs and lower lip tremble.

Twenty odd miles that day. All the way to
Cramond (and back in the dark). What fun to be back out on the bike, wind in hair and freewheeling down long straight hills on traffic free cycle paths. (How I used to mock!)

And the consequences? Not all good. A throbbing knee. An aching foot. An emotional wreck - poisoned by hours of pumping adrenalin. Unable to string a sentence together until the next day. Exhausted by the sheer scale of the whole thing.


I am not cured. Normal service has not resumed. To cycle to work I will have to contend with lorry after lorry after lorry. I don't know if that will ever be possible. But I can do Sundays. And that's a hell of a start....


No comments: