Tuesday 30 March 2010

Go-fast Shin

The Golden Jubilee. Funny name for a hospital. Especially one in the backend of Clydebank. A walk, a bus, a train, a low level train and another walk from the East side of Edinburgh. In the worst weather for months. Me in full waterproofs. Running into a colleague on the train, a relative at the station, and more colleagues on the low level platform. There's something to be said for this public transport lark.

Dalmuir station is not pretty. But it does have lifts. And signs. Which makes the ten minute walk to the hospital/hotel/conference complex somewhat easier.

There's a vague sense of the Middle East in the hotel. Something to do with the wooden paneling and the tiled floors. Although there, sadly, the similarities end. No wafting spices or honied baklavas. No thrumming drums. No call of the muezzin... This is somewhat of a disappointment, given the original purpose of the complex. I guess it is Clydebank after all.

I am entitled to a free room, and that is all. My complimentary paper will have to be paid for, as will all my meals. I guess this is fair enough, given its the NHS budget, and tax payers have to be protected. But it does feel a bit weird. The 15m pool, though, is part of the deal. With its view of the Clyde (if you stand on tiptoes), its thick white towels and its compact sauna and steam room.

At 3pm I present myself to the pre-op clinic and answer the same questions three times in different order. Provide samples. Get swabbed, jabbed and ECGd. Commiserate with the nurse who ended up in a bed in his own ward after being knocked down on his bike by a car driver.

Later I eat in the cavernous staff canteen that has two options on the menu. Jamie Oliver has obviously yet to reach the west coast of Scotland; the food is vaguely nutritious and entirely colourless.

By 6.30pm I'm bored. I have 17 hours to kill. Too wet and cold to go out. I busy myself with Susie Orbach. Play with the iMac. Examine the toiletries. Pace round the hotel. Swim in the pool. Melt in the sauna. Investigate the rest of the hospital. Which is part of the hotel. Or the other way round. Very hard to tell.

At 11 the next morning I present myself to the ward. Shown to a twin room. Given the statutory gown, paper pants and fancy white stockings. Sign the consent form. Answer the same questions five times. Don a wristband. Meet the surgeon and his assistant. Discuss the likelihood of two return visits. Meet the anaesthetist. Discuss spinal versus general anaesthetic. 'Choose' general because spinals not recommended for afternoon lists (what??). Meet some random other doctor. Meet several more nurses. Get offered lunch by mistake.

Finally walk, with my nurse, to the theatre. In my gown. Foam slippers. And unseen paper pants. The walk of shame. Why am I not wheeled? To test my mobility apparently. Good idea. And saves portering time too. Efficiency gains live at a hospital near you (I hope the Tories are watching...).

The admission room is bustling, noisy and upbeat. I meet more nurses. Answer the same questions seven times. Climb on a bed. And horrors, am wheeled into the theatre awake. Despite being a seasoned professional patient, this is new to me. Where is the little anaesthetic room? Did they forget to build it? Efficiency savings?

I see the nurse open the instrument tray. I bleat a bit. And, embarrassingly, although I am a seasoned professional patient, weep. Clutch at the hand of the nurse from Sierra Leone. And then its over.

In the recovery room an hour later the surgeon tells me he 'got the lot'. Well, most of it at least. Which means that all going well, there will not be two return visits. Hopefully not even one. I am the proud owner of a new streamlined go-fast shin. I have been improved. And it hurts like hell. I hope Susie Orbach doesn't mind.




No comments: