Thursday 9 April 2009

Locker Vigilantes



It was one of those days. Didn't realise that the pool closed every Wednesday for staff training. Did the gym for an hour and then, with the fitness instructor, dreamt up ways to fill the gym at quiet times. Had just struggled into my togs when the siren went. Wondering idly whether there was a fire and, if so, would I have to hobble outside in my swimming costume. God forbid. But no. Just the pool closing. Clothes back on, and a promise from reception to let me in for free later in the day. Kind.

At 4.30 I returned. Back into the disabled changing room. Togs on. And the search for a pound coin for the locker. Damn - couldn't find it anywhere. Knew I had had it earlier in the day. Considered options. Clothes back on and a trip to reception? No - it would take too long. Into reception in my togs on my crutches. No for obvious reasons of dignity. Leave the stuff in the locker and risk theft. Yes. Theft of moonboot highly unlikely - and no valuables except for flat keys. Took the final option and went into the pool.

A couple of lengths of breaststroke later I looked up and saw a fattish guy walk through the disabled doors into the pool area waving my moonboot. How odd. I swam towards him and gestured. I had tucked my towel into the boot (luckily not my pants!). He started to remonstrate. I should have locked the locker. I explained, from the pool, that I didn't have a pound coin. was on crutches and blah blah... what was the problem? He continued to harp on - there are thieves around etc etc. I should have locked the locker. He was quite insistent.

Now that everyone was looking, the lifeguard came over and intervened. Sent the guy away, and went to reception to get a pound. He then locked my locker and gave me the key. The other people in the pool turned away - back to the business of swimming. I continued on too - another dozen lengths. And then the usual walking up and down to practice a more normal gait.

Back in the changing room I puzzled over the incident. Was the fat man honestly trying to be helpful? Or was he deliberately out to humiliate the disabled? Was he in fact a professional locker vigilante - trained and hired by the Home Office to keep us radicals from breaking the locker rules? Who knows - I guess I should just be grateful that he didn't walk into the pool area with my knickers on his head...

No comments: