Friday 10 April 2009

Rogue Ambulance Driver

Last physio appointment before Easter. Its an important one - because after that its a four day break. The appointment is scheduled for 2pm. This means I need to be ready by 12 for the ambulance - which in essence wipes out the whole day. At 12 I am ready. By 1pm I'm a bit hungry - but daren't start preparing food. Eat a couple of muesli bars. by way of lunch. At 2pm I phone the hospital to tell them I'll be late - and to ask if they actually booked the transport. Yes they did. At 2.30 the buzzer rings. I meet the driver half way down the stair. Where there problems with traffic? No, he says, innocently. I missed my appointment I say petulantly. He offers my some medical advice on crush injuries as a response.

Its 3pm by the time we get to the hospital. The driver says he is now heading home and someone else will pick me up - he doesn't say when. My appointment is long gone but usually the physios manage to fit me in. I start on the exercise bike, then get round the rest of the equipment. At 3.15 my physio offers me 15 minutes - then promptly disappears. By the time she returns the 15 minute slot is lost. She then offers me a five minute slot. Its not that I'm ungrateful, but I refuse - five minutes?? Then she offers me a slot at 4.30. I am resigned to spending the rest of my life in this department. I accept - and then wander round to reception to check whether I can get an ambulance home around 5pm. It appears nothing is guaranteed. I wander back. No sign of my physio.

At 4pm another ambulance driver turns up to take me home. By rights I can refuse this ride, wait for my physio at 4.30 and then wait for another ride later. But its not auguring well. I dont know whether I will actually get the 4.30 slot. I curse under my breath, gather up my belongings and get in the ambulance. An entire day of hassle for a ten minute ride on an exercise bike.

I record this not because its interesting for anyone else - I know its not. Its very dull. Its just that these things never seem to get reported. This is not an isolated incident. It wont be long before I can start getting the bus and I can say farewell to this service. In the meantime I'll be packing my tea and a book and practicing mindfulness with zen like concentration.

No comments: