Friday 6 March 2009

Missus Two Shoes


Friday 6th March. The day I get to don my right shoe. Over three months without wearing two shoes. Can you imagine? Unfortunately it wasn't a fancy shoe (my cheeky little Think ankle boots not quite orthotic enough..). But heh, it was a start. First problem - what to wear with it? When you are used to wearing only one shoe, and thus only one sock, all the socks in your collection mysteriously lose their partners. Turned my drawers upside looking for a matching pair of socks. No luck. Had to wear odd socks at physio - but no one bats an eyelid there. And, as usual with these frissons of excitement, they are held back to the last ten minutes of the physio session. And this time by the infamous biodex machine.

The biodex machine looks to all intents and purposes like an instrument of torture. I sat on it (not strapped in although most other people are to stop them cheating or falling off - depending on who you ask), my right thigh raised above my hips and my right foot resting on a metal plate out in front of me. Once my foot was safely strapped on, the machine started. In essence I got ten minutes of slowly increasing dorsi and planter movement. The gentle rocking motion was surprisingly pleasant. And I managed to get 38 degrees of movement before the pain became too much. And then finally, there can be no further diversions - I head for my second shoe.

It was tricky to get the shoe on despite the assistance of the very shy Norwegian physio student. I tried first with the sock but the shoe wouldn't fit. (All that trouble looking for a sock...) Then I tried with a light weight tubigrip. That worked although it looked a bit odd. Then I was up and standing in my two shoes - crutches ready. I took a few steps. It was very odd. My leg appeared to have shrunk a couple of inches and my right hip didn't quite know what to do. I also felt light - the moon boot must be at least a kilo if not more. I tried the leg press, and the exercise bike, with my two shoes. I was victorious (shorter mind..) but almost normal. Still have to wear the moon boot outside (just in case) but the boot is formally in the past when I'm at home. Now just have to get over my pride about wearing ancient trainers (I hate the sodding things!).

No comments: