Thursday 26 March 2009

Walking on water

As I said, its not all doom and gloom. Being run over by a truck means you get a personal trainer for £2.80 an hour. With a qualification in sports rehab and remediation. And a nice Scottish name. Today it was my first real session down at the gym. And after the session, I finally got into the pool.

First challenge. Getting undressed and changed and then hauling my gear into an overhead locker - a few steps away from the disabled changing area. Had to take each item individually. Had a look at myself in the full length mirror. Mmm. Bit odd. My graft is bulky and strange. My right buttock has migrated down my leg and I still have massive bruising on my right thigh. Have to expose this lot to the public.

Hopped into the pool area. Waved at the life guard. He gave me some weird green tube that acts as a flotation device. And then I was in. Was easy to slip into the pool. Left my crutches by the ladder. And then I walked. Actually I walked in the water, not on it, but it felt pretty miraculous. Walking without crutches. And the deeper the water, the easier it became. I walked two lengths, and then tried a swim. Extraordinary.

Managed a couple of lengths breaststroke with almost no pain at all. OK - I was a lot slower than I used to be. And two lengths is fairly minimal. But I was swimming... A few more exercises and then it was time to get out. No point in overdoing it. And its cold when you aren't racing up and down.

Getting out was a breeze. This was unexpected. I had been offered the hoist.... And then the last challenge. Getting everything back out of the locker and into the changing room - item by item - while wet and cold. There's a design fault here somewhere.... I'm booked in with the personal trainer next Tuesday at 3pm. And I'm actually looking forward to it...



No comments: