Monday 9 March 2009

Overstepping the mark


Today was not good. Firstly I pulled the string on the bathroom light and it came off in my hands - leaving the light on. No idea at all how to fix this given that I cant climb up to have a look at the light or reach up to the switchboard and turn off the circuit. Crutches and ladders just aren't a happy combination.

Then collected in an 'ambulance car' for physio. Does this mean I've been promoted? Out of the three pick ups on route I am the only person who bothers to answer the door. What a waste of resources. Despite arriving on time, I then had to wait 15 minutes for my physio. And the session started with what I would call an aggressive (although necessary) invasion of my talis bone.

In essence my Physio presses her thumb hard into the front of my talis and then glides the bone a few millimetres at a time for several minutes. This is intensely painful - evidenced by the angry red mark which hangs around for ten minutes or so afterwards. Then further endurance required as I stand with my right foot on a low box and do 20 dreadful lunges. But worse was to come.


The other biodex machine. (Obviously this is not me in the picture although my expression was somewhat similar). This biodex is rather like a Wii. You stand on it, keep your feet firmly planted, the ground beneath you starts to move and then you shift your weight around to get a cursor into a box on the panel at eye level. I failed at my first go, and the Physio changed the settings. It was difficult and painful. My right foot has little flexibility let alone enough movement to withstand the motion of the plate. I suffered it for 2 minutes, keeping that cursor in the box with my right foot (pride and ego seem the only antidote to the pain). Wondered vaguely whether this was invented before computer games or was a torturous offshoot. Or something stemming from military hardwear perhaps?

Back at home the pain in my right ankle continued for the rest of the day. My lawyer came and went and still the pain was there. The pain could indicate a loosening of the screws in my ankle. Or it could be that we just overdid it. It is unusual though and handfuls of painkillers had no effect.

No comments: