Sunday 17 May 2009

Planting the seeds



It seems there's more to this gardening lark than meets the eye. And a lot more generosity. You will recall that my kind friend dug two beds for me down at the allotment. Next time I returned, another had been dug, and one planted with seed potatoes. This time by a man of a certain age that I had only met once, who knew of my plans for the beds. Am I the luckiest lass in Scotland?

So - it was off to B and Q for some rabbit proof fencing and some seeds. Lesson Number 1. Rabbit Proof Fencing is not cheap - £25 for 20 metres. And that's before any consideration of the posts. Then the seeds. Shocking! This is not a hobby for poor people. - at least in terms of start up costs. Cheaper at the shops. But a hot tip in my gardening book (Growing Stuff - An Alternative Guide to Gardening) - buy kids' seeds.

Sure enough, a packet of children's sunflower seeds is a third of the price of those for grownups. Alas, it seems there is not a children's market for nasturtiums. I cough up £2. Then some radishes, two bags of organic peat free compost (a fortune), and its back to the allotment with my booty. My new friend of a certain age takes the wire, hides it in his shed and promises to put in my posts. I am so astonished that I offer to bake him a cake (this is no humble offer - its 20 years since I last did any baking; and then I used buckwheat instead of sugar. You can imagine the result).

Back home there's a letter from the Guardian. A couple of weeks previously I had applied for its offer of free seeds and herb plants - paying the postage of around £3.50. It seems, though, that the offer was somewhat oversubscribed. I will receive my seeds in June (postal strike dependent). I am outraged. June is far too late. The Guardian, it appears, is rather less efficient than my pals down at the allotment.

Never mind. There is still work to be done. The French couch surfer drags the hefty bags of compost all the way up the stairs. Betty (the cat) and I then set to work. By the time we are finished there is compost all over the rugs, the seeds are safe in their pots with their little clear plastic jackets on and we (Betty, the Frenchman and myself) are all very virtuous. Its a pity , of course, that I forgot to label the pots. But I'm sure I will be able to tell the difference between a kids' sunflower and an adults' nasturtium. Eventually.




No comments: