Thursday 7 May 2009

Ready Steady Walk!

Its official. From now, no crutches inside. Sticks for outside only. But of course, its not that simple. While I am 'walking' unaided, its more of a flat footed stagger than a real walk. And my knee hurts like hell. The problems, it seems, stem both from the original injury, and weak leg and foot muscles. Amazingly, my Physio can assess all this by watching my stagger across the gym. So a new set of exercises for foot and knee, and a strong caution - don't over do it.

But now that I can weight bear fully, a devil somewhere is tempting me to do more and more. I can carry things now, drink tea where I want to, pick up a squirming cat, move furniture. I have reduced my painkillers so much that I often forget to take them - and thus the pain arrives suddenly and unexpectedly. Sleeping is more difficult these days rather than less - my 'locking screws' that hold my tibia nail in place hurt like hell and I can't get comfortable at night. Boredom is setting in but I still don't have enough stamina to do all the things I want to. Which leads to the 64 Million Dollar Question - when to return to work?

The work question is very tricky. Returning too early risks set backs and going off sick again - which is not only poor for moral and hopeless for business planning but also not advisable financially. But not being at work is becoming boring - and I may face accusations of malingering. Dragging things out as long as possible. "You can walk (a few steps) - why aren't you at work?" This is outrageous of course - I didn't throw myself under a truck to get 6 months full pay for the sheer joy of it. And in the end, although I receive advice from Occupational Health and my GP, I have to decide.

So today, in discussion with yet another GP in my practice (I have never seen the same one twice), we agreed on a provisional date of 20th May. I had, rather optimistically, been considering the 13th - but with my knee problem (and a daunting experience in the wind today) - that seems a tad early. The 20th is in reach - but its not tomorrow. It will mean moving on to half pay for those days I am not at work - and any sick days between now and the end of the year. But these days a drop in salary seems rather unimportant. So now all I have to do is get cracking on the physio regime, and count down the days. And then of course, deal with all the bureaucracy of a phased return to work.

No comments: