Monday 11 May 2009

A toothbrush, a bag of rice and an old sock


Just as everything seems to be on the road to a fullish recovery, along comes a sensational problem. Literally. The area round my ankle and calf is hypersensitive - mistaking the touch of a towel for a chainsaw. This is, naturally, impeding my physio. I can barely tolerate the necessary scar tissue massage. The solution?

Find an old toothbrush. Ensure its clean and dry. Brush the offending area. Three times a day. I comply. I hope no one is watching - in appearance at least, its borderline insanity. It does have the added bonus, though, of keeping my increasingly lengthy leg hairs nice and tidy...


Meanwhile, my right knee is not behaving. Since the last operation I can't seem to get it going without pain. Walking is fine. But the exercise bike is not. Nor are all those mad leg lifts on the gym ball. The trick is gentle strengthening of my quads and calf - with the help of an old sock filled with rice. I tie the sock to my ankle and do leg raises. And then tie the sock to my knee for some hip extensions. This is OK at home, but at the gym there are a few raised eyebrows. My sock, it seems, may not be up to standard.

I have now been at this physio caper for around five months. Boring it is not. But keeping it going is tough. I wonder, in my my more conspiratorial moments, whether the toothbrush and or the rice-in-a-sock is just a wizard wheeze of the Physio to keep it entertaining. I guess I'll never know.

No comments: