Saturday 17 January 2009

Another milestone

59 days on from my accident - and finally I scaled the heights of my tenement stair - and got into my flat. OK - I did have a rest and a cup of tea on the first floor with my pals, and a quick break on the second floor - but it was surprisingly easy. Its all about technique and confidence. Left arm and hand on the banister, crutch in the right hand, push down on the crutch and hop up. Remember that the crutch follows on the way up - and has the lead on the way down. Coming down I even managed to carry the spare crutch with me - not an easy feat (I cheated on the way up - had my spare crutch carried up).

Strange to be in my flat - sunny, tidy, unlived in. Like coming back from a long holiday, hopping round, picking things up, wondering why things are out of place, trying not to slip on the rugs. Noticing that the neighbours' children have started learning the trumpet (is there no justice?), that the stair is filthy and covered in sand (trip hazard), that the plants are still alive.

So, stairs conquered, I can technically now move back in: bar the small detail of my OT referral (no idea the waiting times for this) and having to rely on patient transport for clinics and physio appointments (allow half a day for a 30 minute appointment). And of course trying to weasel a third crutch from the physio department so that I can leave a crutch at the bottom of the stair - chained of course to the railing.


No comments: