Tuesday 13 January 2009

Meeting my consultant

Well - I waited 2 hours, my carer couldn't get a car park and so had to leave me and return later - and almost everyone had left the department by the time I saw my man. Even the lights had been turned out.

We had about 15 minutes. I took the moonboot off, he tested the movement in my ankle and foot - and pronounced another 4 weeks of non weight bearing. He also said that it was likely I would get back around 80% of full movement - and would be under the care of the hospital for 2 years. Cycling could be a problem - but maybe if I raised the seat a bit it might be possible? There may or may not be another operation - a bone graft - and this would involve lifting up the skin flap - while avoiding the artery to ensure the flap doesn't die in the process.

We talked about getting me back into my flat - and I now have an OT (occupational therapist) referral to sort out kit for (for washing and cooking). I will also need patient transport once I am at home - public transport impossible and taxis too expensive. given the three trips a week to the hospital. I will need chummed up my stairs as I'm too afraid to do it on my own - would be like a solo trip up Everest...

I am bitterly disappointed. Another 4 weeks of relentless physio (not including the physio that will continue once weight bearing starts) continued total dependence on pals who have cars, (I can't even get into a black cab at the moment) and a prognosis that doesn't sound as good as I was hoping - particularly in terms of the bike. Is it time to reinvent Kirsty - or do I just crack on with the original plan? Lets just hope that the motivation for all the work needed now is biological - because if it isn't its going to be very tough!


No comments: