Wednesday 14 January 2009

Shiny new wheels


Today I took delivery of a shiny red wheelchair - its not a bike - I can't jump it up or down curbs (yet) - but in the few hours I've had it - Ive already been to India and back...

And so easy to obtain. My secondary carer (the one who brings me breakfast) dropped me off at physio today. And while I was being soothed and pummeled and stretched and soothed again, he talked to a couple of folk, made a couple of phone calls, and an hour later - on our way home - we picked up the wheels from the Red Cross, round the corner from Dalkeith's Masonic Lodge. It came with three feet attachments: two the usual right and left foot plates; and, the piece de resistance - a right attachment to rest my leg in.

This, for the uninitiated, allows me to sit in the wheelchair and watch a movie without my foot swelling and turning an angry purple. And having this wheelchair means I don't have to carry a stool for my leg, can take a pal to the movies for free (the cinemas generously offer free tickets for carers), and critically, don't have to be driven to the door of where ever I'm going. Without a Blue Badge for the car I've been defeated more times than I can shake a stick - and that's saying something these days... So now its just a bit of work on the upper arm muscles and I'll be off...

No comments: