Monday 19 January 2009

Measurable progress

Today my right knee bent 123 degrees - is this good? Well, yes and no. Compared to three weeks ago its a miracle. Three weeks ago I could barely bend it to get into the car. Nothing intrinsically wrong with my knee though, it just froze from lack of use (and presumably fright from having a large orthopedic nail put through it).

To get to 123 degrees, my physio has put me through low level torture. Which I had to repeat at home four times a day. Not the torture experienced by the prisoners in Guantanamo - nothing like that - but still, in relation to my normal day to day existence, its been pretty painful - even bringing tears to my eyes. And of course, this low level torture is not being used to try and illicit information which I may or may not have, but simply to get me back on my feet - because if my knee doesn't bend, I wont be able to walk, or climb stairs, or even ride my bike. So the incentives are pretty good...

My knee exercises at home have been masterful in their creativity. No treatment bench? No problem! Just lay a mirror on the bed, then slide the right foot up and down on a little doughnut shaped cotton ball over the shiny surface - pushing the knee back a few more degrees each day. No physiotherapist on hand to give a helping hand? No problem! Just take a rolled up sarong, wrap it round the right thigh, and pull hard, holding the stretch for 30s into the pain threshold. Pull a little further each day.

On Friday we were at 110 degrees - three days later at 123. So back to the question. Is it good enough? Apparently not quite. For although I can now master most normal movements with my right knee, and probably have more movement than many other people, my goal is symmetry rather than some nationally agreed level of function. What does this mean in practice? I need to get to the level of my left knee. And when I sit on the bed with a bent knee, I can touch my heel on my thigh. And unfortunately, I made the mistake of showing off this movement to my physio. Lesson learnt - do not, on any account, show off to medical professionals. My knee torture thus continues...

And on the less measurable progress? Today I got up the stairs to my flat with both crutches - an improvement on the weekend's effort. Ironically, I was able to do this because of my non slip mountain bike gloves - highly recommended for hanging onto two crutches at once. And, apparently, the Occupational Therapist collected my referral (marked urgent) today from the clinic out tray - only 4 working days after it was put there. At this rate, I might even get the OT visit while I am still non weight bearing... Watch this space.

No comments: