Wednesday 21 January 2009

Obama Mania

In years to come we will all remember where we were on the 20th of January 2009 - the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America - Barack Hussein Obama.

Alongside billions of others across the globe, I watched the proceedings on television (only the second programme I've watched in months - the first being the xmas edition of the Royle Family - not sure what that says about me??....). Felt vaguely embarrassed as my eyes welled with tears - hanging on to every word - wanting to believe that this extraordinary man, with his clever colleagues and his pretty daughters, and his fabulous wife, is going to change the world.

Wondered at his oratory powers, his unenviable in-tray, what on earth he said to Bush in those last moments as the previous incumbents walked up to the helicopter...
And where was I? On my bed in my temporary quarters, my leg still in its moonboot elevated on a blanket, my crutches still leaning against my pillow, my bag of prunes half empty. Obama unfortunately can't do much for my sodding leg, but he may just might be able to save the world - God bless America!

No comments: