Saturday 31 January 2009

Where were you on the 31st January 2009?

73 days on and I have my first shower. Picture the scene. White plastic bath board across the bath. Towels everywhere to prevent flooding. Strategically placed stools (two) and a chair. Getting naked. Sliding backwards, with the crutches, onto the bath board. Hauling legs over (back to the shower head) careful not to put any weight on my right leg. Left foot planted firmly on the new (hideous) rubber bath mat bought from John Lewis. Watching my right foot go purple. Turning on the shower. Hurrah! Washing - sort of - for ages. Scrubbing my right foot (which turns it back to a normal colour temporarily). Don't wash my hair - too ambitious for first date with shower head - save that for next time.

Drying is an art. Can get to most places on the bath board. Then have to get out with the crutches. Finish off the ablutions with a few fancy products. Then, the piece de resistance, hopping naked, bar the moonboot, to my bedroom. Pause to look in the mirror. Grin and laugh out loud - there is nothing sexy about a moonboot - not even S and M - god, I'll never get a husband at this rate....

Will it be remembered along side Obama's inauguration, Diana's death, or the tsunami? Kennedy's assassination or the moon landing? The day Blair came to power (gosh - remember the optimism then?). I guess not - but my first shower was a momentous thing - and when I'm queen, the occasion will be celebrated by dancing girls and bunting - with Bath Board Day an official public holiday across the land.

No comments: