Sunday 11 January 2009

So near - but so far....


A momentous day. Today I managed to get up to the first floor of my tenement. OK - so I live on the third floor - not the first - so I didn't actually get into my flat. But my chums live on the first floor - and they had brought my cats down as well as laying on a digitalised version of Yellow Submarine (circa 1968).

I have two cats (known affectionately as the pirates): Jack and Betty. Jack has spent most of his time since my accident under the bed in my flat. Betty, being an outrageous flirt and far more fickle, has befriended everyone who has fed her (and there have been many).

To Jack's eternal credit, he remembered me, and despite the strange surroundings, hopped onto my lap and purred like a purring thing. Why was this important? Well, not only am I dotty about the pirates - but apparently, if you are recovering from an injury, you should hug a purring cat. Consistent vibrational sound frequencies of 25-150 Hz, which is the range of a cat’s purr, aid in the healing of bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles, as well as providing pain relief.

Jack doesn't like being hugged too much - but I kept him close by just in case there is something in this milarky... So, only two more floors to go to get to my flat and, how lucky am I, but I have more chums on the second floor who also have cat. Their cat, Smokey, is not much of a purring thing. He is however, terrifically mean - so mean that no Black Dog will come within sniffing distance. So now its just cats, physio and a few stairs - and I'll be home!


No comments: